Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Writers and Scams

Okay. I'm trying to do all I can to help a fellow writer of mine understand what it takes to be published. Unfortunately, she fell for a scam agency back in March-Children's Literary-avoid them! I have even shown here Preditors and Editors-a site that'll usually help you figure out if an agent or publisher is legit or not.-http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Yet, I get an email from her stating that Publisher America is interested in her picture book which I think is great! But when I look them up, I find out that they are nothing more than a vanity press that POD's (prints on demand)-Guess what, Borders will not place your book on its shelves. Instead the book won't be printed unless someone orders it and even then who says they will know of its existence.
I wish I could help her further, but she just hasn't taken the advice about finding an agent or at least using Writers Market or checking the Association of Author's Representatives database that I've given her. I know she is far from computer savvy, but I don't know what else to tell her...

No comments: