Monday, November 9, 2009

Critique Groups & SCBWI

Have any of you writers found your own critique groups? Critique groups can be great or they can suck. It just depends on which one you join. :] I have been a part of an online critique group and let me tell you with their advice my writing has definitely improved. I understand plot more, POV, tension, etc. A writer is always going to need someone to read their book and a fellow writer can point out something that you yourself probably don't realize because you've been working on this one manuscript for so long that you may miss something or not understand how someone reading it for the first time would feel.

Even online you can find a critique partner who is willing to edit your entire book. If any of you are interested I'm head of the YAWR (Young Adult Writers Rock) group at www.key-publications-network.socialgo.com The site has a multitude of other genre groups as well-horror, fantasy, sci-fi, & romance to name a few.

I also understand some people are weary about joining an online group and having your baby posted online or sent in an email. That's fine. You can always try to search for a critique groups near you. Chances are a google search with the words "writers critique group" and your location may bring up some possible groups that you would be interested in.

For those interested in all things kids books, well I looked up the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) and turns out they have dozens of critique groups in the state of Florida. Chances are they'll have some in your area as well. :]

I'm not sure if you have to be a member, but I've decided to go to a local meeting here in the next few weeks. I'll see how it goes.

Good luck!


No comments: