Saturday, December 5, 2009

December-The Writing Back Burner

An interesting post by Nazarea Andrews--her debut novel, Faith's Friendship, is due out in January--sparked my interest. Click on the title of the of this post if you'd like to see her post.

Anyway, she's so busy that writing has kind of been put on the back burner. Though, it's understandable, putting a book out, getting the author website going, editing, etc all that takes time, and not only that, but we are in the midst of the holiday season. The holidays are busy, for parents it's going to be taking off to watch the kids once winter break arrives, for students like me it's the dreaded finals, for teachers it's finally time to get their christmas shopping done. Dinner parties become the norm, as do shattering decorations for those with youngsters or just the clumsy folk. Now where in that time frame do we find time to write?

I'm a bit saddened by it, but I'll admit I haven't written anything in more than a week and refuse to because I need precious time to study for finals, and read a couple manuscripts. Well, at least I haven't put this blog on the back burner. Though, it's not just us! Check out Agent Mary Kole's blog www.kidlit.com (sadly, I can't remember the exact post). According to her, even agents and editors are taking a break from submitting projects. Most use this time of the year to catch up on their large manuscript pile, queries, etc and hold off on submitting projects until after the new year.

Hmm, I wonder what it is about December?

Anyway, Happy Writing!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I feel it. I have to put Shadowmen on the backburner to attend to Witch Tourniquet. I thought I was going to have it done by January,but that doesn't seem possible right now.

Elizabeth Prats said...

December is a busy year for everyone..so its understandable!

Terry Towery said...

I've also cut back on my writing since Thanksgiving, due mainly to this damned cold I have. I'm hoping to get back to it Monday.

Hope you feel better, Elizabeth! :)

Elizabeth Prats said...

Thanks I hope you feel better as well! Colds also seem to be a problem when they stop us writers from writing!